Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

This Letter is Not for the Faint of Heart August 5, 2013

Today is P-Day!!! I am so excited!
So orders of business:
1) I am in Yuma Arizona which is the hottest place in the world....at least in Arizona. I would send stuff to my address because we never get stuff from Tempe. We are so far away! Also send me something, someone because I need a letter with proof of address for a library card.
2) My companion is Sister Staley. She is great. She is younger than me and went to a semester of college before going out on a mission.
My week:
1) I have had some ridiculous things happen to me, like really. So as we were leaving the mission home on Wednesday we were all sitting in the car when the driver told us not to look out the window (I already was). What went by? A big hair butt...yes we were mooned in a church parking lot. The driver turned around to me and said "welcome to Tempe!" Yeah that was disgusting. Well once we arrived in Yuma and into our apartment we got our bikes ready to go. Well when they packed mine up they took off the front wheel in order to fit it, well when they did that they disconnected the brake so in order not to die I took another sister's bike. Well her seat was ridiculously high so I had to almost jump up to sit on it. That made riding difficult; in fact it was so difficult that when I did it I crashed a couple of times. The last time I crashed and my foot caught on the pedal and ripped it up...Well I was bleeding all over the street and so we walked back to our apartment so I could clean up and we called a member for a ride to our appointment because there was no way I could ride. So we went to this appointment with the members. Well as we finished teaching the man, Pedro, went and as we said goodbye he shook my hand then pulled me in and kissed me on the cheek. However, everyone there knew that I didn't invite him to do so and that I only wanted a handshake.
2) The next day me and my companion were wolf-whistled at. We didn't turn around but it was another one of those crazy things that have happened in Yuma. I swear I have seen some crazy things. I really do not understand what the heck is going on here in Yuma.
3) So my area is a little weird. My companion and I cover an English and a Spanish area. Our English area is much bigger because it is for a ward (Rancho Sereno). However our Spanish one is much smaller. It is a branch (Rio Colorado) and all the Spanish missionaries have a part of the branch, which covers all of Yuma, so it is weird how it all works out. For instance, we were talking with one of our English investigators and we met her neighbor who was really interested in talking to us. He speaks Spanish and so would go to the Spanish branch. We can't teach him because he is not in our Spanish area and so we have to give him up to the Elders. This is really sad because this guy is LEGIT. My companion and I  both feel like he will be the next branch president. It was weird but we really REALLY wish we could talk to him more.
4) Our Spanish is soooo small. We have basically no lessons in Spanish because we are too busy with our English. We try but we have had about 2 lessons in Spanish since I've been here. In addition to this we go to a lot of church. Our Spanish branch is in the morning at 9 and then our English at 11 so we are in church for a long time. It's really nice but also difficult because I realized yesterday that Spanish puts me to sleep. I was so relaxed during sacrament meeting because I didn't have to worry about teaching or anything...until we realized that one of our investigators didn't have a ride to church and he was getting confirmed! So we had to frantically call everyone we knew because he didn't have a ride. He got baptized about 3 weeks ago but was drinking and so had to wait to be confirmed. So now he is an official member of the church (this is the one who kissed me).
5) Our investigators right now are all familiar with the church which makes that really nice. We had a couple come to church and we are hoping this next week that they will all come.
6) Seriously biking is so tiring! I am going to have legs and a butt of steel. Seriously those are the things that hurt the most. Bike seats were not made for comfort!
7) The Camelbak is the best thing ever! Seriously I love having cold water on my back all the time. It is also difficult here because we are not allowed to drink the city water so we have to go out and buy water in those 5 gallon things that you see at dentist's places a.k.a. water cooler which is nice until we run out of water. So we are constantly on alert on our supply of water. We ran out of water once while we were biking but we had an hour until we were supposed to be home, plus it was cooler outside so we didn't worry too much.
Well that's it for right now.
This pic is of my foot. You can tell that it was not bad because I took the time to take a picture of it.....
Hopefully that is the pic...
Well I love you all and my foot is ok...I just don't like to wear sneakers because then it rubs on it....seriously I took care of my foot. It just looked so terrible but really it was fine. We cleaned it, sanitized it, and put band-aids on it. Now I will just have a sweet scar from my mission!
Love,

Sister Aimee Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment